Rupture or inflammation of the patellar tendon due to overloading. Athletes competing in jumping and throwing disciplines, volleyball, basketball, handball and football players, as well as weightlifters, are often affected.
- Pain in the patellar tendon in connection with activity.
- Pain and stiffness during and after exertion.
- Stiffness in the mornings.
- Swelling under the patella and pain caused by pressure.
- Overloading of the patellar tendon.
- Reduced strength in the front thigh muscle.
- Insufficient rehabilitation after earlier injury.
- Orthotics to lessen the pressure on the patellar tendon.
- Avoid activity that causes pain.
- Rehabilitation programme gradually increasing in intensity.
- Possibly an operation if the injury does not heal.
- Taping (Contact a physiotherapist or person skilled in taping).